Saturday, April 28, 2007

Miss

We leave Namibia on Thursday. It's amazing to think how fast everything went. It was a pretty short semester of only 8 weeks of classes. When I leave Namibia, there's definitely some things I'll miss...

I'll miss the sounds of Afrikaans, Otjiherero, Oshiwambo, and especially good old Damara with all for of its different clicks. I'll miss saying Hoe gaan dit, kora, ongipe, metisa.

I'll miss the bumping beat of Kwaito music and the wild dancing Namibians do with it.

I'll miss the meat...the boerewors, goat, sheep, gemsbok, biltong, and beef. And I'll miss the wonders of the braai.

I'll miss the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. I didn't even know such colors existed.

I'll miss living in a city surrounded by mountains.

I'll miss walking over the hill to see downtown.

I'll miss not having and not needing a car. Nothing is better than taking a taxi anywhere in town for less than a dollar.

I'll miss weather that is never bad.

I'll miss random walks in Katatura.

I'll miss Mrs. H S Ball's Chutney.

I'll miss drinking the occasional omaere and oshikundu.

I'll miss seeing women walking the streets in traditional herero dress.

I'll miss the kapana of single quarter market. (beef that they grill right in front of you and pay N$1 per bite)

I'll miss cheap cool drink (means soda) in glass bottles.

I'll miss meeting random Europeans who volunteer and internship here.

I'll miss the kids at my volunteer place.

I'll miss my Namibian friends.

I'll miss my Namibian families.



However, I'm still excited to come home.

I'm excited to see friends and family.

I'm excited to sit by a lake.

I'm excited for Valpo's non-soggy, non-winter months. I'm excited to just walk the streets of Valpo in the fall and to stop by Ogden Gardens.

I'm excited for good burgers.

I'm excited for ice cold glasses of real milk.




Cape Town in 6 days.