Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not too much

On Tuesday in our History class, we had Prof Kerina visit us. He was a Namibian lucky enough to study at a University in the US. He came up with the name "Namibia," cofounded the ruling political party, and was friends with the like of MLK, Malcom X, Maya Angelou, JFK, and such. It was pretty incredible to hear his story and to have the opportunity to hear from him in our class.

I talked to a guy from the Scripture Union today, which sounds like a Namibian "young life." I've been waiting a couple weeks for a volunteer opportunity, and this thing sounds sweet. They go into schools and teach life skills after the schoolday. I visit the office tomorrow, so I'll let you know what becomes of it. We also start our 10 day urban homestay tomorrow. I will be staying with a family in which the parents work for a financial company and a butchery, and I will have a 23 year old brother and an 11 year old sister. Their home is in Khomasdal, which is kind of like the colored neighborhood from apartheid. Colored refers to those whom are partially black and white. Thus, this neighborhood is slightly better off than Katatura, the black township from apartheid. By the way, Namibia used to be South West Africa until 1990. Before then, it was governed by South Africa and so it also underwent apartheid.

Mainly, I thought I'd post a few pics in this post since I didn't get around to it in the bottom of the last one...

the first pick is my homestay family from Soweto in South Africa. There's me, Malume (Uncle, as he called himself), Yoliswa, and Nontjatjambo.
The second pic is from last weekend on the farm.









Despite what these pictures and some of my writing might represent, we are in a very urban setting in Windhoek. We are a 10 minute walk from downtown, live in an posh neighbourhood, and it would take us at least a 10 minute drive to get out of the city. I'm sorry that there are no lions that I will get eaten by here.