Monday, February 12, 2007

This and That

The last few days in Namibia have been pretty solid. On Friday, we had the "Katatura quest." Katatura is the neighboring township that only blacks live in. The people there figured we are either tourists or people coming to take their land because that is the only circumstances when they see white people there.

On Saturday, we had about 15 local students from UNam and the Polytech University nearby come over. We had a good chance to interact with people our age. Later that night, they took us out as a whole group. We ended up at house with pretty much 95% guys, of which I believe only 2 were not looking to take advantage of our 16 girls. We later went to a club which was pretty rocking, even though that's not much of my scene. Two of the Namibian dudes would somehow dance in unison to every song. We decided to leave the place after a photographer that does a gossip column started taking our pictures.

Yesterday, the four of us from Valpo and Micah, one of the other guys that's from PLU, went to the Macedonia Lutheran Church in Katatura. Supposedly this church is the largest non-white Lutheran church in the world. It was a great experience despite the 3 hour service not being in English. The only english was when the pastor looked our direction in the middle of the service and said, "I see we have some visitors...why don't they come up and introduce themselves." So we went up into the front and introduced ourselves into the microphone. This pastor wasn't preaching, so he actually came out and sat next to us during the sermon and basically summarized it for us as the sermon went on. What a cool guy.

After the service, we met a lady that took us to her house and then walked us to the local market where we had a home-cooked lunch with delicious juice. The juice down here is amazing. And to everyone who thought I would starve, food here is more delicious and plentiful than home.

Some of us had today off because we aren't doing internships and our volunteering isn't set up yet or people's internships have fallen threw. So this morning I asked Passat of a nearby place to hike and we ended up at Daan Viljoen Park a few hours later. 10 of us took a 9km hike. We managed to see a variety of animals such as zebras, baboons, and a few other kinds of animals that I don't know their name. The wireless network at the house hasn't worked yet, so I haven't been able to use my computer to upload pictures so you can see them.

Our first class starts tomorrow. It feels nice knowing I only have 8 weeks of actual class. I'm